What Packing Supplies Do I Need for My Move?
Here are some reminders of key packing materials and supplies to have on hand when preparing for a move:
1Sturdy Moving Boxes
GoGetter recommends renting reusable plastic FROGBOX moving boxes which are eco-friendly, affordable and convenient. Collecting and using boxes from local retailers is another option. If you opt for cardboard moving boxes, you will need packing tape and a dispenser for sealing up packed boxes and reinforcing the seams for stability.
2Original Packaging for Home electronics
Wherever possible, use the original packaging and boxes for your home electronics since these are specifically designed to fit your components in the safest most compact way. See our article Tips for Packing and Moving Home Electronics
3Clear plastic bags + twist ties
Clear plastic bags secured with twist ties can be used to sort, store and pack items like remote controls, instruction manuals and batteries.
4Filing Boxes + Folders
Temporary filing boxes and folders can be used to sort and store important documents so that nothing gets lost along the way.
Box Packing Material
Protect Your Belongings From Damage with the following packing materials:
- bubble sheeting,
- foam wedges (shoulders),
- corrugated cardboard sheeting (to place between items),
- frame protectors (for artwork and mirrors),
- brown paper or plain newsprint (to avoid ink residue),
- packing peanuts (use anti-static loose fill for electronics) and
- inflatable bags (to fill empty spaces in boxes).
- Labels & Marker – Clearly label your boxes as you pack – label each one with a short description of what is inside and which room it belongs in at your new destination. You can use pre-printed labels or a good quality marker.
All of these items are useful for providing protective cushioning for furniture, dishes and other household belongings. See this article for more tips for packing.
Packing Material for Large Furniture Items
- Moving blankets will protect furniture from scratches and
- Mattress covers will keep your beds clean and help to avoid snagging or tears.
- Plastic stretch wrap can be used for extra protection from dust and dirt and can also keep awkward items together.
- Cloth-backed tape is recommended for attaching protective wrap to avoid abrasion or marking of delicate surfaces.
- Scissors, Utility blade, box cutters – Having several pairs of quality scissors, a sharp utility blade and box cutters will also be needed for cutting plastic sheeting, cardboard and other packing materials.
Alternatively, if you do not need or want shrink-wrap, GoGetter provides furniture pads (moving blankets) at no extra charge.
Don’t Have Packing Material on Hand?
GoGetter offers cardboard boxes, plastic furniture wrap (shrink-wrap), and moving blankets to purchase.
Call GoGetter for pricing if you wish to purchase these moving supplies.
Need Packing Tips?
If you need suggestions on how to pack your belongings for the most efficient and easy move, check out GoGetter’s article: How To Pack
Quick Packing Materials List
- Moving boxes
- Packing tape & dispenser
- Storage bags & twist ties
- Filing boxes & folders
- Bubble sheeting
- Cardboard sheets
- Frame protectors
- Brown paper
- Loose fill
- Inflatable bags
- Moving blankets
- Mattress protectors
- Stretch wrap
- Cloth-backed tape
- Scissors & sharp utility blade